Monday, September 21, 2009

giving in..

I haven't written in a long time...I haven't written anything in a while, which is weird for me. I usually send Liz a few emails a week, lately outlining what I've eaten, how I feel about it blahblahblah. She's on vacation this week, I'm going on vacation next week, so we won't see each other for a while. Ever since she left, I feel like I don't have to do anything at all. I don't write (even though she said please keep writing everyday), I don't think about what I'm eating or what I'm not, I'm just doing what I want to do. I'm just acting like a child, doing what I want while there's no one here to make me think about whether or not it's the right choice. I know this, but the stubborn part of me still wants to just do what I want to do.

I haven't been eating much of anything, that's just the bottom line. I don't know why, I just don't want to. The less I eat, the less I want to. I know it's a vicious cycle, and I know how to stop it. I am just choosing not to. I had this feeling a few weeks ago, of wanting to really be healthy. To eat good, healthy food consistently and moderately. I had visions of myself strong and lean, not thin, just strong and toned. I suppose that would actually require working out in some way...But lately that want, that vision of eating and being so healthy has faded into the background. I force myself to eat a few snacks a day, so that I have the energy to do what I need to do, so that I have the energy to be present for Miles and not check out, exhausted. I still play with him, go to our playgroups, go to the park, we have a great time.  But other than that, just don't feel like eating. 

I think starting school really threw me off. I wanted so badly for it to not throw me off. I thought I prepared. I have class Mon-Wed from 6-9pm. I got pre-packaged snack things from whole foods, which I love, to eat on the train on the way there. So far, I've managed to eat one or two one the way home, but never on the way there. Last Wednesday I was on the platform waiting for the el, and I dropped my whole thing and it spilled everywhere. Instead of saying, oh that sucks, I'll eat something else when I get home- I said, oh this must be a sign that I shouldn't eat anything, so I didn't. I am smarter than this. I know exactly what my body needs, and that I need to force myself to eat even when I might not feel like it. I'm not sure what's going on. I want to stop the cycle, but I also think, if I don't, I'll just keep going until I lose X lbs, then I'll stop.

It's getting increasingly harder for me to schedule my appointments with Liz. Between school, observation hours, and the rest of my life, it's just hard. I have to get a babysitter for Miles so that I can see her during the day, and that adds up. I told myself before I started school that I would commit to going, and not stop, because I know that if I don't make going to those appointments a priority, things will go downhill fast. I don't rely on her for much, it's just a way to be held accountable, to not give up and get worse and worse. Since she's been gone, and J and I talked about the money for sitters and all of that I'm thinking, I should just stop going for a while, maybe until this term of school is finished. I'm not sure what I think about that. It would be easier, but I also know what I'm saying to myself by choosing to do that. What's more important? I'm not sure anymore. I just don't feel like trying much these days.. 

Otherwise, my life is pretty great. Love my husband, my little boy, who I cannot believe is about to turn one year old. I literally feel like I just had him, it's insane how fast this year went. Just crazy. He's about to walk- I remember looking at him in his little incubator just praying that he would turn out okay, that he would gain the weight he needed to go home. Now he's so big, I want him to stay little! He's beautiful, and sweet, and smart. I truly don't know how I deserve such a perfect little boy, but I am thankful everyday. 

I need to get it together, to climb back on the wagon, get back on the horse, the bike, whatever you want to call it. This cannot continue. It's going to lead nowhere good.

7 comments:

  1. I've missed you so much Blu. I'm sorry your life is a little out of control right now. I'm sorry your restricting and hurting yourself. I wish I could find a way to shake you out of this. I'm stuggling too. I just don't want to eat. I'm counting calories and not listening to anyone. This is how I know that whatever I say to you will be tuned out, I'm doing the same, most of the time. But I'm still totaly afraid of getting yelled at by H and C so I'm trying to be good.

    Please let us know how your doing from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Blu! I'm so glad to "see" you again! So much of this reminds me of me. Right now I'm feeling how you were feeling a few weeks ago when you had the desire to be strong, lean, and healthy (not "thin"). What you're doing right now by restricting also reminds me of how I was a few weeks ago for a period of time (I'm sure you remember). What you write here describes what I felt when that slip all began. It is a slippery slope, and I know you know that. It is dangerous, and I know you know that. It has the potential to get much worse and get to the point where you really can't just climb out easily on your own anymore. I know you know that too. So what do I tell you? You know everything. You're just kind of, riding the slip, enjoying it for a while. You said you're acting like a child. I don't think you're acting like a child. You're just acting eating disordered. Maybe it's not helpful to tell yourself you're acting like a child? Maybe that sounds too insulting and harsh and, therefore, is very unmotivating? So what is it that will motivate you? Are you holding a false belief right now that you'll lose weight and then stay there, at that lower weight? Because you won't. You'll eventually come out of the slip and you'll start to eat more. Your chances of over eating increase. Your chances of bingeing increase. And when you start to eat in those ways, the weight will come back up. Are you holding a false belief that you can live life the way you want to live it and keep restricting this much? Because eventually you'll start restricting more - and that will get in the way with life. Eventually you'll start to change your plans to work around your food. Eventually you'll end up in awful binge, purge cycles.

    Very few people hover forever at the "restrict just enough to be thin and feel good" stage forever. Very few people. If you aren't one of the ones who hovers, you either end up bingeing (no fun), bingeing and purging (totally no fun), dead (obviously not acceptable), or so ill you are disconnected from life and others and you don't have the energy to be the mom you want to be (not what you want). So let's say your mind is hoping that you'll be one of the ones that hovers. You can "restrict just this much" for eternity. You'll weigh some number that makes you proud. You'll feel good about yourself. Let's say that you "hover." You restrict AND live. Well, then I ask you, is that the person you want to be?

    When you can be thin and likeable and achieve what it is you want to acheive and have the family you want to have WITHOUT being so conscious of your restriction, then why wouldn't you?

    Keep writing when you have time. I care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments, thanks for caring..trying to get it together..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blu. You'll get it together. It'll come. You don't have to do it on your own either. Being adult about things doesn't mean always being fiercly independent. can you talk to your husband about this? The less "inside" this is, the better.

    stay safe and take care of yourself. seriously.
    (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have not heard from you for a while, are you OK?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey... I've been thinking about you? Let us know how you are. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to share a site to a online medical news publisher that offers many articles on eating disorders, food addictions, depression and recent research that can help with recovery.
    http://www.dailyrx.com

    ReplyDelete