I've been trying to figure out for a while what the whole ED thing is about. For me, I can 'blame' it on body image, wanting to lose weight, wanting to be thinner, but I think deep deep down I've always known it wasn't about that. I think for some people, that is a huge component, and for others not so much. I think I do what I do for a lot of reasons. But I think I have figured out just one of them. It's not the only reason, it's not a 'cure', but it's more than I've ever been willing to admit. When I get into my downward spirals with ED, I want to be taken care of. I become a child. I become irrational. I am obsessed with what I can't do, what I can't fight, how I can't stand up for myself, what I need from other people to help me. It's my way of saying, 'I need to be taken care of'.
I lived a very different childhood from most people. I could go into the details, but I don't think they're very important. The important thing is that I never really was a child. I never really was taken care of. And I've only recently, since I've had my own child and I sit around and think, and talk to my husband about the things I want for him, realize that I wasn't treated like a child should be treated. In little ways, like no one ever cleaning my room, making my bed, or doing my laundry for me (from the time I was like 5 or 6). No one ever made my lunches, I made my own, got myself ready for school, walked myself to the bus...all of those types of things. But also in bigger ways, no one ever took the time to tell me it wasn't my fault when my sister died, so I assumed it was. No one ever told me it wasn't my fault my dad was a drug addict and constantly in and out of jail, so I assumed it was. The list goes on and on...but the point is, no one took care of me then. So, every once and a while I look for someone to take care of me now. It's funny, because I don't look to Jason to take care of me, in fact I don't want him to. I am very adamant that he is my husband, and I do not want him to ever feel like he has to 'take care' of me. So I found Liz, and she is more caring and more kind to me than anyone in my life has been, when I explain some of the things that have happened. I wasn't really sure why I started seeing her, and then wasn't really sure why I continued. Then the ED came back, and I had a 'purpose' to see her. I think I had a purpose all along, and after a year and a half I've just realized a little of what it is.
I think, like Laura, I am a little different than some, well I think we're all different and have the Ed's for a billion different reasons. But Liz has always been sure that it is not the true problem, but a symptom of much more. And that it is not only a symptom, but serves a very important purpose in my life. I never really knew what the purpose was, so I would say, "I have to lose weight" or "I hate that I'm so fat". But I know I can stop whenever I want, if I want. If I really want. I know there are people who can't stop, who are being served in different ways and feel very powerless. I felt very powerless for a very, very long time. I don't feel that way anymore.
It's hard to say, "i have control over whether or not I do this". Because it's scary to take control over your life when you've let it be controlled for so long. But scary can be soo fun. And god knows, 'admitting' this doesn't mean that I don't have some very real needs that require thoughtful attention to process. That's why I see Liz, now I understand. She is there to listen to and pay attention to all of the things I feel like no one ever did. And with time, I will be able to say to other people in my life, 'I need some time, I'd like to experience this and not push it away or shut it out'.
I am so far from being 'fixed'. But, I am intrigued by my new honesty, and SO looking forward to growing up. Eventually ;)
So thank you Laura, for acting like a big baby and making me say, god she sounds like a baby- oh my god I sound like a baby all the time!! I'm scared to death to grow up too!! Together I think we'll end up the mature, capable, strong women we were meant to be. Slowly, and always gently of course.

But I don't want to grow up! And I hat looking for the reason for ED. That way lies pain and mess.
ReplyDeleteIt sound's like you've had a lot of really bad stuff happen to you as a kid. I'm sorry for that. I wish I could make it not be so, but I'm happy your taking such good care of yourself now and your kids. And all of us too. Thanks.
And umm, I just read you comment to Now. I had no idea your sister was only 17. If I did I would never had said to take a cab at that time of night. Acctualy I'm way overprotective and wouldn't let her out of my sight for the entire trip. Yeah I know it's not fair but sue me I'm a little nuts about protecting young people. They may be a huge pain but we protect them durring that time so they can be better people when they figure it out.
ReplyDeleteha- i guess i didn't mention she's only 17. don't worry i picked her up and am taking good care of her...if she ever wakes up... ;)
ReplyDeleteWe both need to remember to be big and mature and adult and grown up - but don't be too hard on yourself. You don't need such a defined purpose (like an ED) to see Liz. You still have a purpose in seeing her, and you deserve to see her.
ReplyDeleteI love how you ended this post by saying "slowly and gently of course." Because it's so true that the "grow up!" mission can come across as this severe/harsh/command and make us feel worthless. But if it's an encouraing "grow up," a gentle "grow up," and a patient, "grow up," then we'll get there :)
I hope you're having a great day, staying true to your needs/wants, and believing in yourself.
You are awesome.
p.s.: I'll act like a baby for ya anytime :)
ReplyDeletep.p.s.: I paid my bills. I called the health insurance company. And I got a tax-related form that I needed to get. (Thank you for telling me to get to it!)
blu,
ReplyDeleteyou are amazing...YES WE ALL HAVE EDS FOR DIFFERENT REASONS...Iam not one of those people who feel like they could stop at any time but shit i am persistant...I always was not "treated as a child should have been" i was forced to grow up way to soon and I have always yearned to be cared for...perhaps that is what I have been trying to do with my Ed all these years..."toget someone to take care of me" but you know what..NOONE can take care of me til I DO!!! so you know what you have made me think...think hard....perhaps...no not perhaps...for sure i think I have some growing up to do to...you sure know how to get people thinking :) thankyou...your so special Do you know that...do you realize that...well now you know!!!
love, Tara
Yes, you are special - just as Tara said. You have a good way with people and with words.
ReplyDeleteAt one point, I wasn't one of the people who could "just stop." But then I got through that and, now, now I think I am one of those people. And you have inspired and reminded me to "just stop it already." Thanks again!