I had Miles at barely 32 weeks pregnant. They don't know why I went into labor so early, there were no signs or reasons, 'sometimes it just happens'. He spent a month in the NICU, which was the worst, most painful thing in my life. If you've never left your baby in the hospital when they sent you home, I hope you never have to. Anyway, the 'relapse' of sorts came quick and hard just a few weeks after he was born. Before that I had been fine for years. I took immaculate care of myself while I was pregnant, and yet still had him two months early. I am convinced that I cannot go through that again, so am doing everything I can to prevent another pre-mature birth. This means getting healthy now, as of course any doctor will tell you. So, about three weeks ago I declared that I was 'cured', and I would no longer purge anything. I would eat healthy, take vitamins, and do what I needed to do to be healthy in preparation for getting pregnant. When my therapist asked if it was hard, to stop the cycle I replied, 'no not at all. this is what I have to do, I have no choice, it's not about me'. And I meant it.
Yesterday something snapped, or I guess I could say I just spiraled and couldn't do it. I haven't eaten all day, was starving, binged, and purged for the first time in almost a month. I could say all of the things I originally thought which included, but were not limited to: I am a terrible person, I am a failure, I don't care about my yet conceived baby, I don't deserve to have another baby, I'll never get better this is never going to end, and on and on. But. I am not going to say that.
I am going to say that today is a new day. Every day is a new day for all of us, and we all have the choice to start over, like yesterday never happened. My therapist said this to me yesterday, and if you don't know her I guess it would be easy to shrug off as 'give me a break', but I believe that mantra's like this work if you want them to: 'breathing in, I let it all go. Breathing out, I let it all be.' It's as simple as that. Yesterday is gone, I've let it just be.
The ironic thing about my lapse yesterday is that I had just come from the store where I bought a cookbook of sorts for Miles. I've been feeding him jarred baby food because 1. I don't cook, and have no idea how to eat right and 2. It's just easier. I know this food isn't the best for him, so I've dedicated myself to figuring out exactly what he should be eating and yes, actually cooking fresh fruits and veggies for him. So, this morning I was reading the book and making lists of what to get for him and I realized that if I took half as good care of myself as I do him I'd be in GREAT shape! We do things for our babies, for our kids, for our parents and our friends and our husbands that we won't do for ourselves. When all they want from us is to be happy and healthy.
So. Miles and I are in this together. I'm going to eat what he eats (of course a much larger amount). But since I can't seem to get it together, but I can for him, I'm going to eat what I prepare for him. So, lunch today will be fillet of salmon with sweet potato, and fruit. He will have a tiny chunk, I will have the rest. And we'll go from there, which is all we can do.

I think you can do this; you have a really good, rational, productive attitude about it. You sound like a wonderful person, and I'm wishing you the best!
ReplyDeleteI was waiting for you to reappear...I thought of course the worse...like things had spiraled out of control and you were in hiding...i know that happens to me every now and again ;)...I was so glad to read that you are doing super well, that you have a great attitude about yesterday!!! that you still have all that time...you didnt lose it...but you did gain insight and that is an incrediable thing...I am so proud of you!!!! really so very proud and yes it is SO amazing the things we do for our kids...like eating and NOT puking...those my dear are some VERY hard and loving things we do for our kids...and pre congratulations on your inpending pregnancy!!!!
ReplyDeletemuch love, TAra
Thank you for your post. I'm stuggling right now too and it's hard. I don't have kids but you mentioned others and I was able to think of them. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting! I didn't think anyone would read this, it's kinda weird, but nice:)
ReplyDeleteI wish I was as rational and productive about this all the time as I sounded here, but I think it's important to write out the rational thoughts, and maybe no so much the ones we all know are crazy-
Tara- I've written several comments on your blog, but never posted them because I just couldn't get out what I wanted to say which is, I guess, just don't give up because you have too much to offer the world to die from not eating.
'now'- I read yours everyday too, you are the only person more long winded than I am, and i LOVE to read your thoughts. I wish I could get everything out like you do, it seems to be very therapeutic, and it always makes me think. we have so much in common with the things we are interested in (my love for kids in the foster care system is a little like your community organizing love) we should talk about that sometime. if you ever need a GREAT place to get involved, come on over to Chicago, we have plenty that needs to be done!
EA- I need to read your blog, I'm going to now!
That sounds like a good plan!
ReplyDeleteGreat you picked a great time to join, just in time for a meltdown. At least they don't last as long now. And I think bloging helps with that. I still love that picture of the dog and the kid. It makes me smile.
ReplyDelete